Restoration Completed on Hindustani Church

PUNE, INDIA (September 26, 2012) – Restoration work has been completed on the 150-year-old building of St. Andrews Hindustani Covenant Church, which was nearly destroyed by fire last November.

Click here to read a previously published story. To see additional photos, click here.

The 1,000-member congregation was determined to restore the historic structure. Just a week after the fire, the congregation held its Sunday morning worship service there, having cleaned the sanctuary and repainted the walls. The restoration incorporates Burma Teak throughout, including doors, windows frames, arches, and pews.

Unrecoverable were the historic artifacts that were destroyed. Among them were early copies of the Urdu Bible that dated to the 1940s. This church was instituted by the Scottish Mission in 1860 and then handed over to Swedish missionaries in 1939.

Moderator Steven David thanked Evangelical Covenant Church members for their prayers and financial support in helping to restore the building.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *