CHICAGO, IL (August 30, 2010) – Following is a list of the contents removed from the time capsule during Monday’s decommission service at Evangelical Covenant Church offices.
The time capsule was found inside the cornerstone that was laid on September 17, 1947. Groundbreaking occurred on June 30 that year with completion scheduled for April 1948.
The metal time capsule was placed in the cornerstone by T.W. Anderson, president, and Edgar Swanson, secretary of home mission. Anderson prayed “fervently” and all prayed the Lord’s Prayer.
The box contained 20 items:
- Standard Revised New Testament
- Covenant Memories (1935)
- 3 Covenant Presidents: Biographical Sketches (1945)
- Frykman, Hultman, Skoog: Pioneers of Covenant Musicians (1943)
- Covenant Yearbook (1947)
- Our Covenant (1946)
- Covenant Weekly
- Sunday school papers
- Covenant Quarterly
- Covenant Home Altar
- 1946 Annual Meeting program
- 1947 Annual Meeting agenda
- 1947 agendas for Executive Board and Board of Missions
- Sions Basun (1909)
- Covenant hymnal (1931 – known as the brown hymnal)
- Youth and the Way of Life (1940 – first English language confirmation text)
- Director of Covenant Churches (1947)
- Miscellaneous pamphlets (also known as tracts)
- Photo of groundbreaking ceremony, June 30, 1947